Skip to main content

Music: My Soul

Helllooooooooooo,

It's been two weeks. I know. I know. I was getting settled in Mysuru.
A lame excuse but I have still not worked on everything regarding the internet connection and all that headache.
So, I apologize for the late post.

I never knew how much I missed Bengaluru. My city. Guess it's true that sometimes, you realize your love only when you are far apart. I missed the traffic (can you believe it?!, I can't either), the people, the vibe, the energy of my wonderful city...

Okay, okay putting that aside, in this post I wanted to talk about something that has been bothering me since forever. And in Mysuru, I attended a concert and I got the perfect topic to blog about.

MUSIC.

Apart from my studies, this was the one thing I was good at. My parents sent me to learn music - Carnatic Classical music - from a small age. I was not allowed to go to sports or dance or any events because it would get in the way of my studies, but this, this I was pushed to it. Not that I hated it, I didn't think anything of it at the time. I was a kid and I just sang.

I was in fifth grade and it was decided that my brother and all the elder kids would attend the Junior Music Exam, and we (the younger ones) couldn't because of the age restriction. My friend and I cried and begged our teacher to let us attend the exam too. We were on the same level as them, we knew all that they knew too. We had learnt the varnas and keerthanas together. But, my music teacher and all our parents calmed us down...and told us that it was just like that. And they couldn't do anything about it.

When I think about it now, I realize how much I loved this music (and also competing; I still do love music, tch, come now)

So, yes, I finished my junior exams in sixth grade. And then my Senior exams after my tenth grade.

But, by the time of my senior exam, I was exhausted. There had been so much pressure to study as tenth grade was a very big turning point (here, in India, at least) in a student's life. I had just finished my final exams and wanted nothing more than a week of rest, to relax and to breathe.
But that didn't happen as I had to prep for my Senior Music Exam.

My Senior Exam went bad. So bad. I've never told anyone, nobody about what happened in that exam hall. I screwed up like crazy. And to this day, that is one memory I won't go through again. I decided that as soon as I came out of the exam hall. I was completely numb when I came out. I was sure that I would fail the exams.

But, I passed. I was so relieved. Of course, I scored the least among my friends.

Afterwards, the music stopped. It was a string of excuses. My teacher told us that it was time to concentrate on studies, to work hard in PU, and get into a good university. My mom told me that 'Senior' was more than enough in music, that it was a good level to stop at. She also wanted me to focus on studies. And so, it stopped.

I practiced at home, whenever I could. But, you all know how it is. When you don't have something to cling onto, a drive, an inspiration, it doesn't work. For months, I didn't practice....And I lost touch.

Now, I feel sad just thinking about it. I wish someone, anyone had given me a push. Had told me not let go, to continue to practice. It's not that they didn't. My relatives did tell me to continue music. But, it didn't feel like they meant it. That they were truly cheering for me. They said it just for the sake of it. (now, my cousin is here, to inspire me and tell me to pursue music, to learn whatever I can while I'm still a student. thanks, bro)


Anyway, that's my history with music.

But what I really want to talk about is, Classical and Western music.

Carnatic Classical and Western (both classical and pop) music.

As you already know (from previous blog posts), I listen to western music too. And yes there is definitely a 'Classical' western music and the famous hip-hop, pop music we all know. And I listen to both.

And I also love my Carnatic music too. It's like meditation. A form of release.

And I really, really hate it when people make faces at Carnatic Classical music. MY music, which I have learned and learned all my life.
Oh please don't think as to who would do it. All my friends around me hated classical music. They would tell me to shut up, whenever it came to music. 'Oh, it's a bore. All the dragging and the 'aaa's and the 'shaking the head' thing. I'll fall asleep'.
I remember.

There are many people out there, who don't like classical music. Who listen to all the movie songs and don't even understand that it is from the same classical music, these tunes are born. The ones they love. I'm aiming this at them.

Here's the truth. You don't understand the beauty of classical music. The joy of singing all those verses from your stomach and crying with relief. The energy you receive from it. The calmness you feel. It has such a long history and such reverence.
Please don't just brush something off when you don't even know anything about it.

Okay, fine, you don't like classical music, but you don't have to be so stupid about it. I'm not forcing you to love something you don't. I won't do that. Forcing my opinions on someone else is not at all my intention. I respect all your opinions. This is just my views and what I have experienced being a classical singer. Just because you don't love something, doesn't mean you should condemn it. And talk bad about it.
'Dude, I don't like classical music. I can't explain why. I find it boring. I'm sorry but that's the truth'. If someone truthfully worded it like this, I would hug them. For their honesty and not talking bad about it but respecting the music too.

And also, western music. I love it too. And I've also been looked down for that too. Since I am a classical singer, I am expected to always listen to classical songs and not fast beats and pop songs, and especially "other language" songs (you know I'm talking about K-pop and Japanese). I don't care. I know I love both. There's beauty in both.

And I can't choose between the two. Please don't ask me choose between the two. Even as a joke. Both are a part of my life. I've learned from both.
I am who I am because of both.


So that's that. My little post about my world of music.

Hope you enjoyed reading it...


Stay Healthy, Stay Happy

Lots of Love,

PG.

P.S.: I'm working on a logo for my blog....and was just wondering how do you create a logo? I know that it's just a picture, but is there a software for it? or do I just use the 'Paint' software?? Eh, no idea. If you do know, please let me know.....  :D






Popular posts from this blog

I LOST MY PHONE

Disclaimer - I am writing about Android phones. I have no idea about iPhone, except that it also has 'Find my iPhone' app in it. So what do you do when you lose your phone? If this is your first time losing it, then you better hurry. AND it will really help if you've turned on the location and internet in your phone. Trust me. It will be worth it. If you have not, then please say goodbye to your phone. I'm sorry for your loss. By sheer luck (I don't know what else to call it) if you have turned on the location and the internet, then  - 1. Borrow your friend's phone and install the app 'Find My Device' from Play Store. 2. Sign in as a guest by entering your email address. The app will locate your phone. 3. If you have just misplaced it or dropped it nearby, you can hurry and reach your device. But, if someone has stolen it (yes, there are people who still steal mobile phones. It is 2018 and apparently this has nothing to do with people&#

The Law of Nature

Charles Darwin discovered about Evolution in the 1800's. Evolution is  change itself. If you take the time to observe everything around you, you can see the changes with your own eyes. People change. Everyday. We learn something, every day. We subconsciously cultivate habits and little things from our surroundings (which is why it is said that your environment influences you or, show me your friends and I’ll tell you what you are.) Let me take my own example: I am definitely not the person I was some...5 years back. I have definitely changed! And truthfully speaking, I am glad! I have learnt so much and experienced so many things that has brought me this far. I can compare my younger self to my current self and think ‘wow, who is that dingus? Was that how I was then? Thank god for evolution’ (lol) and maybe, in the future, I may compare my current self and think that the current me is a dingus too… But that will be because I would’ve learnt even more and my experi

You are in a Trance

Hello, How are you? hehehe... Look at me, making small talk to cover up the fact that I am posting something late again! I have so many topics in my mind to post about, but it just evaporates....Maybe I should write it down somewhere so that I can remember it. Yup, lemme do that... Soo... I have a bike. A Yamaha Ray Z, which I ride to college everyday. And even when I am in a hurry I always....observe my fellow riders and drivers, because obviously I have to look out for theirs and my safety!! Also, my bike's indicator has a sound, so that...you know...the sound will help me remember I have put on the indicator and I should turn it off. Now, you know the sound of an indicator....It's loud enough to wake up someone sleeping. (lol) This incident happened a while back but it left a really deep impression on me. As always I'm rushing to college....on my bike...speeding past and over taking slow ( and sorry to say) stupid drivers/riders.... and then I hear the sound of th